Fire sends to children to Atlanta hospital

A fire in this home at 52 Washington Drive early Friday morning resulted in two young boys, ages 5 and 10, being flown to Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta with critical injuries. The blaze, believed to be of electrical origin, was called in at 6:18 Friday morning. Firefighters had to rescue the children who had somehow gotten separated from their grandparents trying to flee the fire and smoke.

Two children were life-flighted from Rome on Friday morning after a fire broke out around 6 a.m. at a home on Washington Drive in North Rome.

Fire Marshal Mary Catherine Chewning said the blaze began in an utility room, caused by a faulty electrical wire.

The grandmother of the 5-year-old and 10-year-old boys were attempting to get the children out of the house when they became separated. When firefighters arrived, they went into the home, where they had to battle thick smoke to eventually find the boys.

Both of the children were rushed to Floyd Medical Center and then flown on to the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta-Scottish Rite Hospital in Atlanta in critical condition.

The damage was contained to two rooms in the southeast corner of the home, however, the fire marshal said that the entire home sustained heavy smoke damage.

Fire Chief Troy Brock said neither of the grandparents were injured in the fire.

Recommended for you

Comments disabled.