If you want to fly on commercial airplanes or enter a federal building next year, you may need to update your driver’s license.

Provisions of the REAL ID Act of 2005 are due to start phasing in Saturday. They’ll require people to have a secure driver’s license or ID to enter federal buildings or fly, according to Susan Sports, public information director for the Georgia Department of Driver Services.

Starting in January, commercial flights will require the IDs.

Georgia has been in compliance with the REAL ID Act since 2012, Sports said, so licenses issued from that point on should meet the federal standards.

To check if you have a secure ID, look for a star in a gold circle in the upper right corner of your driver’s license.

People without the validation must visit a Department of Driver Services office in person to get a secure ID. The Floyd County office is at 3390 Martha Berry Highway.

You’ll have to bring several documents, including an original birth certificate or passport to prove who you are and something with your Social Security number and name on it, which could be a Social Security card or bank statement.

Also, two documents are required to prove where you live, such as a current bank statement or utility bill.

Lastly, if your name has changed, bring the legal document showing the change, such as a marriage or divorce certificate. If you have a passport with your married name on it, it will suffice as both your birth certificate and marriage license, according to Sports.

After a driver has a secure license, it can be renewed online up to three times, until you are 64 or older, Sports said.

The fee is $20 for a five-year license and $32 for an eight-year license. Your old license can be replaced with a secure one for free if it has 150 days or more until it needs to be renewed, according to Sports.

Congress passed the REAL ID Act in response to a recommendation from the 9/11 Commission.

The goal is to prevent terrorists from obtaining state-issued identification documents, according to the Department of Homeland Security website.

As of Saturday, federal facilities that require identification to be presented will require the secure IDs.

The Transportation Security Administration will require them for air travel beginning Jan. 1, 2016, but the DHS website states that U.S. passports, military IDs and permanent residency cards also will be accepted.


Recommended for you