The present building at Mountain Springs is the old Shiloh Church building which was originally on the old Summerville Road. Little is known about the old Shiloh Church except for a few brief references in the Rome newspapers. One mention of Shiloh was on September 14, 1875 when the paper reported “Dr. W. H. Felton, on his way to the camp meeting in Chattooga County, will preach at Shiloh Church, five miles from Rome on the Summerville Road on Thursday night next.” Sometime after this date the Shiloh Church was moved about 3 miles to its present location at the end of the old CCC road.
The 2 acre property for the Mountain Springs cemetery was deeded to the church trustees by John L. Cook on September 23, 1889. This deed makes reference to the property “commencing at a stob near where the church now stands” which indicates Shiloh had probably been moved prior to this date. Also a deed from Moses R. Wright on October 17, 1890 conveyed land to Mountain Springs Church trustees for a grave yard and church purposes.
A sad story from the grave yard concerned the death of John M. “Biss” Stewart. The Rome Tribune Herald reported the story of a crowd drinking beer from 3 kegs on the bank of the Coosa River. A fight between two men ensued. Stewart, an onlooker, attempted to help his friend involved in the fight when he was struck from behind with a heavy stick or bottle. After the blow to his head he was able to walk to the stable where he had left his wagon team but died before he could get home. Stewart left a wife and five little children.
Mountain Springs community declined as residents moved away and their property was purchased by Berry College. Almost a century and a half have passed since the first religious service at Mountain Springs Methodist Church. About 1952 the church was dropped from the Methodist Conference as being active. In 1984 the church became an independent church.
There is no longer the sound of a two-horse wagon or the arrival by horseback of early members or the sight of houses or gardens nearby but this remote sight is still cared for and loved by descendants of early members of this church.
Visit hrcga.org for additional photos of the church and to find out more about other historic rural churches in Georgia.