The Canadian Grand Prix was canceled for the second straight year Wednesday due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Formula One race had been scheduled for June 13 at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Public health authorities in Quebec had recommended canceling the event two weeks ago, citing concerns over potential COVID-19 outbreaks related to large crowds in Montreal.

The Turkish Grand Prix will replace the Canadian race on the F1 schedule. Turkey's Istanbul Park also was the substitute venue for the Canadian Grand Prix last year.

"While it is disappointing we cannot be in Canada this season we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an amazing race last season," F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said in a release. "I know all our fans are excited by the dramatic start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit that delivers great battles on the track."

Officials said the F1 race will return to Montreal in 2022 and also extended Canada's race-hosting deal by two years through 2031.

--Field Level Media

Recommended for you