As is normally the case, National Signing Day featured a frenzy of excitement -- for players and fans.
That was true on the local level, as 22 athletes from Greater Rome finalized their college choices and signed letters of intent.
Pepperell's Dakota Ball and Calhoun's Adam Griffith were among the headliners, with both signing with Alabama.
Four local players signed to play football for the Air Force Academy. Those players are: Trent Frix and Reed Allen from Calhoun, Zach Chubb from Cedartown and Luke Brantley from Chattooga.
Two local players, Chattoga's Nathan Schuster and Trion's Trevor Flannigan, signed to play football with Georgia State University.
Eight players, including six from Calhoun High, signed to play for the University of West Georgia located in Carrollton.
Nine players from Calhoun's Class AA state championship team also signed. They are Adam Griffith, Alex Kirby, Trent Frix, Reed Allen, Ben Lamb, Chase Rierson, T.K. King, Hunter Knight and Gabe Freeman.
In addition to the football signees, Model's Taylor Phillips, is a cross country runner. She signed to run with Young Harris.
Local players who signed Wednesday:
- Dakota Ball, Pepperell, Defensive Lineman has signed with the University of Alabama the reigning BCS champions. Ball had a stellar career at Pepperell where he was an offensive and defensive stalwart. As a senior, Ball recorded 85 tackles, seven sacks, 10 tackles for loss, 38 quarterback hurries and forced three fumbles. Ball was selected to the first team of the GSWA AA All-state team, was defensive co-player of the year by the Rome News-Tribune and played in the Under Armour All-star game in Florida.
- Gavin Lawrence, Darlington, Offensive Lineman has signed with the University of West Georgia. Lawrence was a stand-out for the Tigers and graded 90 percent for the season. He is a member of the Rome News-Tribune All-Area Team.
- Trevor Flannigan, Trion, Offensive Lineman has signed with Georgia State University. Flannigan was a stand-out on the offensive line for the Bulldogs and was a member of the Rome News-Tribune All-Area Team.
- C.J. Bell, Gordon Central signed with Tusculum College in Tennessee.
- Matt Chastain, Gordon Central signed with Mercer University.
- Noah Henson, Sonoraville signed with Shorter University.
- Adam Griffith, Calhoun signed with the University of Alabama.
- Alex Kirby, Calhoun signed with the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
- Trent Frix, Calhoun signed with Air Force Academy.
- Reed Allen, Calhoun signed with Air Force Academy.
- Ben Lamb, Calhoun signed with the University of West Georgia.
- Chase Rierson, Calhoun signed with the University of West Georgia.
- T.K. King, Calhoun signed with the University of West Georgia.
- Hunter Knight, Calhoun signed with the University of West Georgia.
- Gabe Freeman, Calhoun signed with the University of West Georgia.
- Zach Chubb, Cedartown signed with the Air Force Academy.
- Luke Brantley, Chattooga signed with the Air Force Academy.
- Nathan Schuster, Chattooga signed with Georgia State University.
- Stephon Mosley, Rome High signed with the University of West Georgia.
- Taylor Phillips, Model signed to run cross country with Young Harris College.
- Zach Coker, Adairsville High signed with West Georgia.
- Austin Harrell, Adairsville High signed with The Citadel.
Also of interest, Cartersville High punter Collin Barber has signed with the University of Georgia.
Athletes all across Greater Rome — and across the nation — will be signing letters of intent to continue their football careers at the college of their choice.
The day is often marked with pageantry and celebration, as players, families, and certainly, the fans, rejoice about the decisions.
Signing Day has become such a big day across that nation, that ESPN’s college TV network — ESPNU — will be streaming coverage throughout the day.
Check back on RN-T.com throughout the day today for coverage of the signings.
We'll keep tabs on all the local signings as well as watching the regional and national implications of signing day.
Coming into today, most recruiting ranking services have the reigning BCS Champions Alabama as having the top signing class but that could change throughout the day as several uncommitted players pick their schools.
Here are a few links worth following that will be giving constant updates today: