In my humble opinion, the proper place for all Civil War monuments should be the battlefields of that terrible conflict. It was on those hallowed grounds that real sacrifices were made by both sides. You cannot visit places like the Chickamauga or Kennesaw Battlefields without being overwhelmed with the question of how did we reach the point in our history when fellow citizens were willing to kill each other with such ferocity? Given our current state of divisiveness it may be a question that cannot be answered, but those battlefields and their monuments are a grim reminder of what happens when civil discourse breaks down. That is an indisputable fact that all sides can agree on.
- Woman arrested for embezzling more than $250,000 from Ringgold business
- Shell sells Brewhouse Music & Grill to McJunkin
- Teenager wanted in Cottis Inn shooting turns himself in
- Man shot to death at Sylvania Circle home; suspect from Floyd County captured in Alabama
- Model High senior accepted to Ivy League School
- Police issue murder warrant for teenager in Tuesday night shooting
- Southeastern Mills sells customized coating and seasonings division
- 2018 has seen unusually high number of shootings in Rome
- New restaurant coming to Wall Street
- Floyd County Jail report for Sunday, Dec. 16, 8 p.m.