Bartow County Coroner Joel Guyton identified the victims as Scottie Croy, 49 and Jeffrey Croy, 39. Their parents, David Croy, 68 and Glenda Croy, 69, were being treated at Floyd Medical Center and Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center in Marietta respectively.
Bartow County Fire Department Captain Andy Moore said the fire was reported at 24 Martin Luther King Jr. Circle around 1:30 a.m. Friday morning.
“The first engine arrived on the scene with moderate fire and heavy smoke showing,” Moore said. “During the primary search they found two elderly subjects outside the residence and the continuing search showed two male subjects inside the residence. They were brought out and EMS attempted resuscitation, but was unable to save them.”
Kingston Police Chief T.J. Sosebee said Jeffrey’s body was found in a bedroom and his brother was found near the front door.
“My fire investigator determined that the fire started in a rear bedroom of the home,” Deputy Insurance and Fire Commissioner Jay Florence said. “There was nothing suspicious about this fire, and we believe an electrical malfunction in a rear bedroom — which was unoccupied at the time of the fire — possibly caused the blaze.”
Investigators found no signs of a working smoke alarm inside the home.
Emergency personnel also recovered the bodies of four dogs and two cats from the residence.