The public is invited to a celebration to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the Berry College Chapel at 5 p.m. Sunday.
The service will feature a dedication of the new carillon funded by the Berry College Class of 1988 and the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. The digital carillon produces tones of bronze bells.
In addition to its selection of 10,000 peals, tolls, chimes, popular hymns, spiritual melodies and patriotic songs, the carillon also includes a 61-note keyboard. The service will feature the Berry College choirs and other musicians.
The chapel was designed by architect Harry Carlson of Boston, who also designed the Ford Buildings on campus, and was built by students in 1915. The chapel was dedicated on March 5, 1916. In the early days, chapel services were held daily as well as on Sundays.
The Rev. Fleming Rutledge will deliver the sermon. She was one of the first women to be ordained to the priesthood of the Episcopal Church in 1977.
Additionally, the annual Possum Trot Homecoming Service will be at 11 a.m. Sunday at Possum Trot Chapel. The public is welcome to join alumni of the Possum Trot School and current Berry students for the annual worship service in the historic Possum Trot building. A picnic lunch will be held after the worship service.
The Possum Trot Church is the “cradle of Berry College.” Built originally around 1850, the old church was appropriated by Martha Berry for the Possum Trot Sunday School in 1900.