You are the owner of this article.

100 Years Ago


As it appeared in the 50 Years Ago column in the Sunday, Nov. 5, 1967, edition of the Rome News-Tribune

A meeting of suffragettes was held this week fifty years ago at the corner of Broad Street and Third Avenue when Miss Maud Younger, a California voter, spoke to the people of this city from a decorated automobile.

Miss Mullen and her three traveling companions were members of the militant or “wicked” wing of the suffragettes and represented the branch which had been picketing the White House for several months.

Of sensational interest to Rome listeners were the charges of cruelty and indignation Miss Mullen said that the suffragettes suffered after they were sentenced to the workhouse following their arrests while picketing in Washington.


American troops were in the front line trenches in France for the first time since the United States entered the war, and had exchanged artillery fire with the enemy. The government had begun to restrict enterprise not essential to the war by forbidding the use of open-top freight cars, theatre construction, the manufacture of furniture, pleasure vehicles and musical instruments.

It didn’t matter whether you knew anybody in the war or not. Everybody felt its effects.

“There ain’t no such things” was the ungrammatical but apparently true statement of a leading Rome grocer this week fifty years ago when asked about the high price of eggs in the local market. It had reached a stage where leading hotels had cut eggs from their menus and restaurant keepers looked weary when an order for eggs was given to the waiter.


Three big army trucks laden with military supplies, the khaki uniforms of Uncle Sam’s soldiers and unfamiliar blue of the French Army, gave Broad Street a martial aspect this week a half century ago. The trucks and a number of automobiles were here en route from Atlanta to Fort Oglethorpe, staging a test of the Dixie Highway.

All the trucks that went by the Rome route made the journey without incident or interruption and an average of more than 15 miles an hour was made.


But in spite of the war, life in the community continued. Mr. and Mrs. Roy Berry were spending two weeks in New York where Mr. Berry had gone on a business trip. … Mr. and Mrs. Edward Purviance announced the birth of a daughter, who bore the name Louise. … William E. Kane, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kane, who for several years had been with the Wyatt Jewelry Co., enlisted in the aviation section of the signal corps, leaving this week for Atlanta where he entered the training school at Georgia Tech. … Edmund Yeargan, son of Mr. and Mrs. H.F. Yeargan, was painfully injured by a fall from his bicycle.