You are the owner of this article.

100 Years Ago


As it appeared in the 50 Years Ago column in the Wed., Oct. 4, 1967, edition of the Rome News-Tribune

A great deal of enthusiasm and interest centered on the plans and progress of a committee to serve food and offer aid to soldiers passing through Rome to and from the various cantonments.

The soldiers were to be met at the station and stimulating food offered them. There was to be a trained nurse in attendance and others to offer to mail letters or cards or to administer to any small needs.

Those who offered their services included Norris Smith, chairman; M.B. McWilliams, Will Towers, M.S. Lanier; Mesdames Nancy White Johnson, chairman of the ladies group; H.F. Saumewig, J.B. O’Neill, Luck McDonald, Paul Cooper, Sam Long; M.L. Bross, J.D. McCartney, Hugh Best, Reuben Towers, Robert Graves, Hamilton Yancey Jr., Langdon Gammon, C.I. Carney, A.C. Shamblin, Wade Hoyt, Coleman Bryan; Misses Florence Yancey, Isabel Gammon, Louise Moultrie, Letitia Johnson, Battle Howell, Bessie Moore, Martha Veal, Mae Young and Ava Printup.


The smokers of Rome realized this week, fifty years ago, more than ever, that this country was at war, and that war is just as Sherman said it was, for the price of smokes had gone up. All tobacco dealers in Rome had agreed upon a uniform advance because of the new federal war tax which affected the articles they had already in stock as well as those to be purchased later by retailers.

All five-cent packages of cigarettes were to retail at seven cents and all 10-cent packages at two for a quarter. All five-cent smoking tobacco went up to six cents a package and all ten-cent packages jumped to 12 cents.


The bell clanged – the train moved slowly out of the Southern station amid the cheers of those who went and those who stayed – but when the women turned to go home their eyes were wet and many of the men were blinking and coughing as if they had bad colds. It was farewell to 60 sons of Floyd County who were off to the National Army encampment, and it was the biggest detachment that had left here altogether.

The 60 young men formed the second increment of this country’s quota for the National Army.

A big crowd was on hand to see them off. Scores of motor cars were parked around the station and for every man that went there were 100 to say goodbye.

They didn’t look much like soldier, for they were in all kinds of garb, but they did look like fine fighting material. Some of them had on Palm Beach suites and many of them wore straw hats, having thriftily determined to let Uncle Sam do their fall shopping for them.

In the coach just ahead of the Romans was a bunch from Dalton. They had evidently been on the train an hour and had gotten over the pangs of parting. They were whooping things up in great style, calling to the girls on the platform and telling what they were going to do to the Kaiser. One chap with a loud bass voice, whenever he would see signs of tears, would sing in a sort of swing-low-sweet-chariot style “Put your head down and cry.” This fellow tried to get the Rome crowd to sing, too, but they weren’t quite up to it.


The marriage of Miss Elaine West to Mr. Edward C. Malone was solemnized this week a half-century ago at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church.

Mrs. E.A. Heard was matron of honor to her niece, while miss Katherine West, sister of the bride, was maid of honor. Flower girls were Miss Mary Heard West and Miss Ethnelle Morton. Mr. Fred Malone, brother of the groom, was best man and Richard West and Andrew Cothran were ushers.

The bride wore a coatsuit of white broadcloth with white fox fur and her hat was a three-cornered model outlined with fur and trimmed with white gourra.

They planned to reside at the Hotel General Forrest.