Monday, July 7, 1969

Harbin Clinic medical center opens Wednesday

The new Harbin Clinic building on Martha Berry Highway at Redmond Road will open Wednesday, officials announced. An open house for the public will be held within a few weeks.

The 34,000 square foot facility was begun in late 1967. The relocation and expansion is “a joint venture of the staff of the clinic to help meet the growing demand for medical services in the northwest Georgia area,” a spokesman said.

The contemporary structure was built on an eight-acre tract acquired from the Berry Schools. It is a one-story, U-shaped building with an exterior of off-white brick. Twin walks, separated by a planted island and passing through a brick-paved courtyard featuring a multi-level water fountain, lead to the main entrance.

The lobby of the building is designed around the open courtyard with glass-paneled walls and provides ancillary seating overlooking the courtyard.

Auxiliary entrances located around the perimeter of the building afford direct access to doctors’ waiting rooms from the parking areas.

Central clinic services such as laboratory, X-ray, physical therapy, business office, medical records, employee lounge and conference room are located in the center section just off the main lobby and give easy access to patients from the individual doctors’ suites. As the building is enlarged in the future, these services will be completely surrounded by doctors.

The building will provide office spaces for 20 doctors plus central services and a leased pharmacy to be operated by Enloe Drug Stores.

The Harbin Clinic was established as a 12-bed hospital in 1908 by two brothers, Dr. Robert Maxwell Harbin and Dr. William Pickens Harbin. In 1917 a new fireproof 40-bed four-story structure was opened and the original building was converted into a nurses dormitory.

In 1920 three additional stories and other enlargements were added to the main building at 104 East Third Avenue, raising the bed capacity to 75. It was operated as a hospital until June 1948.

Upon conversion to a clinic operation in 1948, overnight patient care was eliminated but clinical organization began with a staff of seven physicians. The clinic has grown with Rome with the addition of new specialties and doctors through the years.

Dr. William Harbin serves as clinic director.

Wednesday, July 9, 1969

Townspeople make up robbery loss of Vietnam war veteran

TIPTONVILLE, Tenn. (UPI) – Marine Sgt. Thomas Henry Taylor goes to the bank today with a check for nearly $900 as a substitute for Vietnam service pay he thought he had kissed goodbye forever – plus $400 more in goodwill money.

The money came from townspeople in response to the story of a robbery and what the money was supposed to mean to the young Marine and his family.

Taylor had been in the United States less than 24 hours after a 20-month tour in Quang Nam Province with the 7th Maine Regiment. He entered a downtown Memphis bank and cashed his paycheck.

The sergeant headed for Tiptonville with his pay, carefully saved to help his invalid father, mother, six sisters and four brothers, aged 4-17.

Taylor’s mother, employed for $60 per week in a local factory, had been ill for five weeks and the family had been living on credit.

“He had been planning this for a long time,” said his father, J.B. Taylor. “He wrote me several months ago and said, ‘Daddy, I think I’m going to be able to bring $1,000 home for you.”

A few blocks from the bank last Thursday three men took the bills at knifepoint.

Taylor returned home stunned but without bitterness.

“They (the robbers) probably didn’t know I made the money in Vietnam,” he said.

The elder Taylor felt differently.

“I only feel sorry for my son,” he said. “I think the man that robbed my son ought to be sent to Vietnam so they an see how he earned it.”

The family’s plight was described in a Memphis newspaper, The Commercial Appeal, and citizens responded. Among the gifts was a cashier’s check from an anonymous donor for $900.

“I didn’t know people could be this good,” said Taylor. “Something like this makes you feel like the time you spent in Vietnam was worth it.”

“I’ve got some people to thank,” he grinned. “I’m going to put the $900 check in an account in my mother’s name so she can pay off her bills.

“And I’m going to take my girl out tonight.”

Thursday, July 10, 1969

Judge declares anti-cursing law unconstitutional

You’ll probably find your language distasteful to many but curse all you like. It’s no longer against the law.

U.S. District Judge Sidney O. Smith ruled Wednesday that Georgia’s anti-cursing statue is unconstitutional because it just doesn’t say enough.

The ruling came in the case of Johnny C. Wilson, convicted three years ago on two counts of violating the statute, Smith set aside the conviction.

Wilson, a member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, was arrested during an August 1966 antiwar protest at an Army induction center. He was convicted on assault and battery charges in addition to the language charges. He was sentenced to 36 months in jail.

Friday, July 11, 1969

Piggly Wiggly, AA Tires breeze

Piggly Wiggly and AA Tires celebrated their league championships Thursday night in slow-pitch softball action with high-scoring victories.

Piggly Wiggly defeated Darlington, 14-9 at Vaughn Field, while AA Tires outscored Brannon Brothers Roofing, 15-0 at Riverside Park.

The victory gave Piggly Wiggly a 19-0 record in the American League, while AA Tires is now 17-1 in the National League.

In other National League encounters, American Pioneers nipped Godfrey Texaco, 11-10 on the strength of four runs in the bottom of the seventh and Rome Transit defeated Waits Service Station, 19-10.

Captain Florist whipped the Jaycees, 13-8 and Caroline Freight won by forfeit over Local 360 in other American League games.

Piggly Wiggly collected 15 hits, including two each by Smith and Lowrey. The winners blasted five homers, including two by Lowrey and solo blows by Smith, Kirlen and Dillingham. Top hitters for Darlington with three each were Burch and Ellis.

Chastain Florist scored five runs in each the third and fifth innings to turn back the Jaycees.

Washington, Zeiger and Swift had homers for the winners, while Murray and Culler also contributed two hits each. Moore led the Jaycees with three hits.

AA Tires exploded for seven runs in the second inning and remained ahead all the way in its game. The winners banged out 21 hits, including four by Kinsey, and Dixon and three each by Johnson and Tate.

Baker was three-for-three and Brannon clouted a homer for the Brannon team.

Nixon and Morris with three hits each paced the Pioneers at the plate, while Stallings, Miller and White had two hits apiece for Godfrey.

Rome Transit came from behind with an eight-run third inning to defeat Waits Service Station. Smith with three hits and Gore with a homer led the way. For the losers, Waits had three hits.

100 years ago as presented in the July 1919 editions of the Rome Tribune-Herald

Former Lindale Bandmaster C.W. Merck, who now resides at LaGrange, will have as guests about 10 members of the Lindale concert band. They left via Atlanta for LaGrange and he will have a surprise coming to him today. Mr. Merck is now instructor of two bands at LaGrange…. Jeff Bliss, a young man who recently came here from Columbus, Ga., had the misfortune to lose a part of one of his arms when it was caught in a fast-moving card in the carding room of the Lindale cotton mills. The young man resides at Number One Railroad Avenue.


A mysterious auto with lights dimmed and its driver huddled close in the seat with cap pulled down low, caused the police department considerable trouble, and officers are of the opinion that the car and its driver are the means by which moonshine liquor is being brought to Rome.

On multiple occasions the officers attempted to stop the machine as it came over that Oostanaula River bridge at Second Avenue, but on both occasions the driver, instead of heading the stop signals, sped it up his car and drove rapidly down Second Avenue.

Officer Selman and Eubanks emptied their revolvers at the rear of the auto and it failed to stop, but none of the shots are thought to struck it. The policemen say they are determined to stop the mysterious Ford the next time it comes through Rome, and they say they are prepared fully to cope with the midnight marauder.


Conditions in Europe are not as bad as those that faced the South after the Civil War, Oscar Crosby, former assistant treasurer of the United States and for two years, chairman of the Inter-Allied council on War Purchases and Finance, declared upon his arrival from Europe on the transport Mount Vernon. None of the European nations are bankrupt, he said, which is a far different condition of affairs that faced the South at the end of the war at home.


George W. Long, whose Boozeville home was burned to the ground a month ago, is to rebuild at once. He will construct a nice four-room cottage of modern design. Work will begin on the new house immediately and will be completed at once. … The funeral and burial of Oscar Garmany, who died at his home in Boozeville, occurred in the Antioch cemetery, near East Rome. Rev. Chastain, of the Anchor Duck Mills conducted the funeral service at the grave.