You are the owner of this article.

Clerk: Veterans should register discharge papers at the courthouse

  • ()

Veterans who haven’t made sure their discharge papers are recorded at the courthouse should do so in case they need it in the future, said Floyd County Clerk of Superior Court Barbara Penson. The court will then be able to provide the veterans with a certified copy as a free service if they need it.

All veterans of all military branches of service can take their DD-214 discharge to the Floyd County Superior Court. DD-214 is issued by the Department of Defense when a person is discharged by the military.

“I have discovered that many veterans do not know about this service and did not have their DD-214 recorded,” Penson said in a press release. Although veterans may have recorded their DD-214 in their home town or in a county or another state far away from Floyd County, you are encouraged to record them here as well. If your DD-214 has been recorded somewhere else and you are now living in Floyd County, simply bring your DD-214 to the Clerk of Superior Court’s Offices located at 3 Government Plaza, Suite 101 and we will record it in our records.

If there comes a time you need a certified copy, then we will be able to provide one for you and it will not be necessary to send to another county or state to obtain your record. This is a free service to all our veterans that my office is delighted to offer. You paid it forward for all of us.”