Edwina W. Carter passed away at her home on Heidelberg Circle on July 1, 2019. Heidelberg Circle is part of Heritage-Lowman in Chapin, South Carolina. She was born on February 5, 1943 in Cedartown, Georgia to Pauline Mitchell and John Ralph Williams. Edwina graduated with honors from Cedartown High School in 1961, afterwards attending the Women's College of Georgia in Milledgeville, Georgia for two years. After these two years she married Larry D. Carter of Cedartown, Georgia and they began to raise a family as her husband pursued his career as a Chemist. First came a daughter, Kelly Cassandra Snelling in 1965, followed by a son, John Christopher Carter in 1966. Eight years later a second son, Buddy Dean Carter was born In Greenwood, South Carolina. In her passing, she is survived by her husband, Larry, three children (Kelly, spouse Roland Snelling, Christopher, spouse Heather, and Dean), eight grandchildren (Buddy Snelling, Ben Snelling, Brooke Snelling, Graham Carter, Haley Carter, Charles Carter, Erin Carter, and Lindy Carter), and four great-grandchildren (Hudson Snelling, Nora Snelling, Samuel Snelling, and Eleanor Snelling). At first, she worked many office jobs, making use of her limited college experience, until she began to work for Hospice Care in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Inspired by seeing an opportunity to serve others, she decided to go back to college and complete a degree in nursing at the University of South Carolina in Lancaster, South Carolina, graduating in 1990 summa cum laude. For thirty years she worked for four major hospitals, consummating her career with Self Memorial Hospital in Greenwood, South Carolina. During the course of her career as a nurse she became so proficient in the care of cardiac patients, she was called upon by professionals many time. A memorial and committal service will be held at Greenwood Cemetery in Cedartown GA on July 31st at 10:30am hosted by the Gammage Funeral Home.
To plant a tree in memory of Edwina Carter as a living tribute, please visit Tribute Store.
- Landers indicted for huge thefts from vet clinic
- Calhoun man arrested after firing shot through apartment wall while cleaning AR-15
- Police: Calhoun man arrested after pouring boiling cup of noodles onto woman's lap
- Sex offender sought in Calhoun and other places for exposing himself and attempting to lure children arrested
- Rockmart man, who was a elementary school parapro, sentenced for possession of child pornography
- GOP candidate from outside the district eyeing Graves' Congressional seat
- Hotel planned on bypass at Braves Boulevard
- Hope's House now open as day center and resource facility for Rome's homeless
- Suspect still at large in early morning armed robbery
- GHSA denies Calhoun High School's Appeal, Jackets Class 5A bound