The Cherokee County Herald was established in March of 1938 by Joseph Malachi Shaw Sr. and his wife Gussie Grimes Shaw, who with their 17-year-old son Joseph M. Shaw Jr. left their Shaw's Printing Shop in Guntersville to begin the new publication. Joseph Sr. served as publisher of The Herald until 1950. When Joe Jr. stepped into the position, he moved to the current location at 107 West First Avenue, about a half-block from where his father had established the business. Joe Jr. purchased the Cherokee Milling block building, which had been used to store grains. When Joe Jr. died in 1987, wife Melrose (Mellie) became publisher. Two months after the paper celebrated its 50th anniversary in March of 1988, it was purchased by News Publishing Company, which currently owns the publication. Cherokee County, Alabama History Cherokee County was created by the Alabama legislature on Jan. 9, 1836. It was named for the Cherokee Indians, who ceded the land that now comprises the county to the federal government by the treaty of New Echota, Dec. 29, 1835. Cherokee County is located in the northeastern portion of the state, in the Appalachian Mountains. It is bordered on the north by DeKalb County, on the west by Etowah County, on the south by Calhoun and Cleburne, and the east by Chattooga and Floyd Counties, GA. For the first 10 years, the residents of Cherokee County quarreled over the location of a county seat. In 1837, the Alabama legislature authorized the seat of county government to be established at Cedar Bluff. In 1844 an election was held and the county seat was moved to the town of Centre. Other towns and communities include Jamestown, Gaylesville, Forney, and Rock Run. The newspaper is owned by Times Journal Inc. based in Maretta, Ga.