Man cuts his own throat during Catoosa County gas station incident - : Police/Fire

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Man cuts his own throat during Catoosa County gas station incident

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 11:15 am | Updated: 7:21 am, Wed Feb 15, 2017.

A man is in the hospital in after he allegedly stabbed himself and cut his own throat during a gas station meltdown Saturday night, Feb. 11, in Ringgold.

According to the Catoosa County Sheriff's Department, the incident occurred Saturday about 6:18 p.m. at the Mega Star 4 gas station at the corner of Mt. Pisgah Road and Alabama Highway.

Deputies were dispatched to the scene after receiving a call that a man was trying to cut people with glass and had possibly taken hostages inside the store, reports show.

When deputies arrived, 19-year-old Jacob Elbert Gregory was the only person inside the store.

Witnesses told officers that he'd broken wine bottles and started cutting himself in the throat area.

Deputies carefully entered the store and found Gregory lying floor covered in blood.

"Mr. Gregory was bleeding from his neck," Deputy Coby Cunningham said.

Gregory actually jumped up at deputies multiple times and was tased twice before officers were able to get him safely detained, reports show.

Gregory was taken to Hamilton Medical Center in Dalton for medical treatment.

His mother also arrived at the scene and told detectives she hadn't seen her son since the day before.

"She said she dropped him off at a friend's house and that he was fine," Cunningham said.

On Saturday, before the incident, Gregory's mother told police she got a call from one of her son's friends who claimed Gregory had possibly tried cocaine for the first time, and had been acting out of character since.

According to Capt. Chris Lyons, Gregory is still in the hospital and charges could be pending.

"He's in stable condition now," Lyons said. "Apparently the young man just flipped out. We don't know for sure if it was a drug situation, mental health, or both. He was sent to Hamilton in Dalton and later flown to Erlanger in Chattanooga."

Online poll