The Ringgold Playhouse (TRP) will hold open auditions next week for the first production of its 2017 season, the hysterical comedy "Southern Fried Funeral."
After closing out its successful 2016 season in August with the classic drama "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," TRP is looking to bring the laughs with its first production of 2017.
"We're excited about the new season, and we're really looking forward to opening with such a funny and entertaining show," said Adam Cook, TRP executive director.
The show will be directed by Monica Woodlief, who'll hold auditions at Ringgold's Patriot Hall on Monday and Tuesday nights, Dec. 11-12, at 7 p.m.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script, with call backs to be held later in the week if necessary.
About the play, "Southern Fried Funeral" by Osborne and Eppier
Dewey Frye is dead and the rest of his family is left to pick up the pieces -- that is if they don’t kill each other first. Not only does matriarch Dorothy have to contend with sudden widowhood, but she’s also faced with church committee harpy Ozella Meeks sticking her nose in the family business, Dewey’s snake-in-the-grass brother making a grab for her house, and two grown daughters reliving their childhood rivalry. Funerals bring out the worst, the best, and the funniest in people, with the Fryes being no exception. Penned by the duo of Osborne and Eppier, "Southern Fried Funeral" is a big-hearted comedy about family…Southern-style.
Performance dates are Feb. 23-25 and March 2-4.
Actors only need to attend one evening of auditions, which ever night works best with their schedule. The show has roles available for six women and five men.
- DOROTHY FRYE (50’s/60’s): Dewey Frye’s widow and matriarch of the family.
- SAMMY JO FRYE-LEFETTE (30’s): Middle child and future President of the Junior League.
- HARLENE FRYE (30’s/40’s): The oldest child and prodigal daughter.
- DEWEY FRYE, JR (20’s): The youngest child. Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
- DUB FRYE (50’s/60’s): Dorothy’s brother-in-law.
- ATTICUS "ATTIE" VAN LEER (30’s/40’s) Family lawyer, and on-again-off-again love interest of Harlene.
- BEECHAM LEFEETE (30’s) Sammy Jo’s husband.
- MARTHA ANN FOX (50’s/60’s): Dorothy’s best friend.
- FAIRY JUNE COOPER (50’s/60’s): Contemporary of Dorothy and Martha Ann; they’ve all been friends since high school.
- BENNY CHARLES GREENWOOD (50’s/60’s): Best friend of Dewey Frye, Sr.
- OZELLA MEEKS (60’s/70’s): Chairwoman of the Son Shine Committee at church, a position she doesn’t take lightly.
Anyone seeking more information about auditions can email TRP at TheRinggoldPlayhouse@gmail.com., or call 423-227-9459.