A Chickamauga home was destroyed by an early morning fire.

On Jan. 13, at 3:30 a.m. a “heavily involved” fire was reported by a neighbor

to 911.

The home at 144 S. Jenkins Road is a total loss, according to Walker County fire marshal Waymond Westbrook.

Fortunately, no one was home at the time of the blaze.

He has determined the fire’s origin to be either a battery or the battery charger that was connected, plugged into an extension cord on the back porch of the home.

The fire jumped to the siding on the home, then into the attic, which quickly allowed it to grow further.

Units from four stations responded to the scene, with Engine 7 from Fairview arriving first. The first responders spent more than four hours at the residence.

The owner has insurance on the 1,300-sqaure-foot house, which was built in 1942.