Questions continue to surround the death of a Catoosa County teenager who was shot and killed Monday when he attempted to burglarize a Ringgold residence.

Authorities say 17-year-old Dalton McConathy of Fort Oglethorpe was fatally wounded in the neck when he and another teen tried to burglarize the Post Oak Road residence of 69-year-old Fred Youngblood around 4 p.m. Monday.

According to a police report, Youngblood couldn’t remember how many shots he fired from his pistol. One shot hit McConathy in the neck. He died later at a hospital.

At the time of the burglary McConathy was with a 16-year-old friend, identified as Craig Wilson, and 18-year-old Ansley Chrnalogar, who was waiting in the get-away truck.

According to one news report, Wilson family members say Youngblood fired several shots; the boys did not enter Youngblood’s residence; the boys were running toward Youngblood to escape, not to attack him, when he fired at them.

Catoosa County sheriff Gary Sisk declined this morning to discuss the case, saying it is still under investigation.

Youngblood has not been charged in the incident.

Sisk on Tuesday said the trio was looking for scrap metal when the boys encountered Youngblood.

“I believe they knocked on a front door and a side door, and he (Youngblood) saw them go around to the back of the residence,” Sisk said.

He said the boys then went into Youngblood’s basement, at which time Youngblood grabbed his pistol and confronted them.

As the boys took off running, Youngblood fired once and struck McConathy in the neck, reports show.

McConathy collapsed into the bed of the truck as Chrnalogar drove away. The trio was confronted by sheriff’s deputies shortly thereafter on Boynton Drive.

Sisk on Tuesday said Youngblood was shaken up after hearing of the teen’s death.

“He was definitely physically upset when we told him that that’s what happened,” Sisk said.

It has yet to be determined whether Youngblood will face charges, as investigators continue to try to determine if Youngblood’s actions were in self-defense.

“We’re only the second day into the investigation and I really don’t want to make any speculations,” Sisk said Tuesday. “I don’t feel that his actions were in malice or that he even possibly intended to kill him. He felt that he was protecting himself.”

Youngblood could still face charges, but that depends on the determination of the district attorney’s office following the outcome of the sheriff’s office’s investigation.

“It’s a sad day for all, because we have a 17-year-old who has lost their life,” Sisk said.

The tough part for investigators now will be determining if Youngblood indeed acted in self-defense and whether he was within his rights under Georgia gun laws.

Sisk , via a text message this morning, said he didn’t have any new information to report at this time.

Chrnalogar and Wilson were taken into custody on a charge of first-degree burglary.

Chrnalogar remained in jail as of Thursday morning with a bond set $20,000.

According to McConathy’s Facebook page, it appears as though he and Chrnalogar were dating. There are multiple pictures of two together showing affection.

According to McConathy’s obituary, he was being home-schooled, and his passions in life were hunting, fishing, and enjoying the outdoors.

Funeral services will be held Friday, Nov. 15, at 5 p.m. in the South Crest Chapel of Lane Funeral Home in Rossville. McConathy’s family will receive friends Thursday from 5-9 p.m. and on Friday from 3- 5 p.m.