The Ringgold Playhouse celebrated its 2016 season Thursday night, Nov. 17, by holding its third annual awards banquet to recognize the theatre created on the Depot stage during the year.
This year's season included the hilarious comedies "The Nerd," and "Noises Off," as well as the classic Tennessee Williams drama "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and the company's first original work, "The Storm."
"We had a great year," said Adam Cook, Ringgold Playhouse executive director. "We took on some challenging shows and feel like we really gave our audiences great entertainment they'll remember for a long time."
The haunting drama, "The Storm," took home multiple awards, including Best Actor in a Drama (John Hammons), Best Actress in a Drama (Laurie Shaw), Best Supporting Actress (Jesica Womack) Best Costume Design, and the coveted Production of the Year.
"It's awesome when a great show with such a great cast and such a great message gets the recognition it deserves," said Chuck Nalley, who was one of 21 actors to take part in their first production with the still relatively new company.
After opening with its first production in the summer of 2013, the final show of 2016 marked the company's 12th production.
"The company has grown really fast in a short amount of time," Cook said. "Audiences gave us a chance in the beginning, and we've worked really hard to keep producing quality work so they'll continue to come be entertained by this great theatre. Having 21 new actors join us is huge...it means a lot that performers see what we're doing over here and want to be a part of it."
Ringgold Playhouse's 2017 will begin pre-production soon when it holds its first round of auditions for "Southern Fried Funeral" on Dec. 12 and 14.
More information about the company and auditions can be found at cityofringgold.com.
Complete list of TRP award winners
- Best Costume Design: "The Storm."
- Best Set Design: "Noises Off."
- Best Ensemble Cast: "Noises Off."
- Volunteer of the Year: Ronald King
- Outstanding TRP Debut Performance: Whitney Standefer in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."
- Best Supporting Actor: Ed Huckabee in "Noises Off."
- Best Supporting Actress: Jesica Womack in "The Storm."
- Best On-stage Duo in a Comedy: Daniel Pound and Kimberly Tyner Jones in "Noises Off."
- Best On-stage Duo in a Drama: John Hammons and Chuck Nalley in "The Storm."
- Best Actress in a Comedy: Kimberly Tyner Jones in "Noises Off."
- Best Actor in a Comedy: Adam Cook in "The Nerd."
- Best Actress in a Drama: Laurie Shaw in "The Storm."
- Best Actor in a Drama: John Hammons in "The Storm."
- Production of the Year: "The Storm."