The Martin Davis House Foundation announces that the Martin Davis House, the home of Frank Clements "Bug" Shaw Jr., will be open to visitors for tours on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016, from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. and on Sunday, Dec. 18, from 1-4 p.m.
Martin Davis moved to Walker County about 1850 with his family and built a farm house in McLemore’s Cove. The Davis family lived here until the 1890s when the house and farm were sold.
Home owners after the Davis’s made several architectural changes to the house; however, the original 1850 structure is still intact.
Shaw, the last home owner, added several detached structures to replicate a small country village that along with the main house preserves an interesting collection of antiques and farm implements.
During the last several years the Martin Davis House Foundation has completed extensive restoration work.
No admission fee will be charged. Donations will be accepted and used to assist with the maintenance and preservation of this historic property.
The Martin Davis House is located at Davis Crossroads, 8 miles west of LaFayette at the intersection of Ga. Highways 193 and 341. This historic farm is administered by the Martin Davis House Foundation.