Online fundraiser set for local family that lost home to fire

Gordon County Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at 355 Sunrise Circle on the evening Friday, Oct. 27, which resulted in a total loss of the home.

According to the official fire report, Stations 1,5,6 and BC1 were dispatched to the residence in response to calls about a structure fire. Once on scene, fire officials established a defensive fire attack and spent just over four hours at the residence, using between 35,000 and 40,000 gallons of water on the operation. Fire engulfed all areas of the home, including the basement. No one was at the home during the time of the fire.

The homeowners, Davison and Ashley Sheriff, bought the home in February of this year and knew of no problems, according to the report. No cause of fire has been established at press time.

The Sheriff’s, who are the parents of three young children, are devastated by the loss, and friends have stepped in during this time and started a You Caring online fundraiser in hopes of raising $2,500 for the family to purchase everyday items needed at this time. As of press time, more than $1400 has been raised.

To donate, visit their You Caring page at www.youcaring.com/davisonsheriff-993034.

As a reminder, home fires occur more in winter than in any other season, with heating equipment being involved in one of every six home fires and one of every five home fire deaths. With the holiday’s approaching, the National Fire Protection Association offers the following tips to help prevent home fires:

Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.

Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year. Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home or any nearby buildings.

Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.